03 December, 2014

12 Days of Christmas, Day 3: Oatmeal Butterscotchies

Butterscotch.  *grumble*  Butterscotch is the bane of my baking existence.  I hate it.  Almost with a passion...  Problem is, the Mister loves it.  I usually delicately side step this flavor option for baking SO well, that no one ever notices that I don't use it in a SINGLE thing I bake.  Ever.  Have you ever noticed?  Didn't think so...  You were too busy with caramel and chocolate.  Rightly so.  But, the Mister has been especially awesome this year lol...so I figured I'd throw him a bone and give HIM something to "Oh" and "Ah" over this go 'round.  So I dove into the realm that is butterscotch, just this once....just for him, and whomever else out there is a butterscotch lover.  There can't be many of you lol...  Tee hee hee.

Cookies?  Naw....butterscotch cookies are SO overdone.  A cookie BAR?  Sure, but I've seen folks try to mess with some of my favorite recipes, like O'Henry Bars, by using them either in the rice crispie portion of the bar or mixing it with the chocolate on the top.  Ew...ew on BOTH accounts.  Not okay.  Butterscotch should never be a substitute for peanut butter.  But in this particular recipe...peanut butter COULD in fact substitute for the butterscotch.  However, having tried these bars and actually LIKED them,  for the first time in my life I will tell you don't substitute the butterscotch with anything.  These are fabulous as is.  I know...I was shocked too...

Oatmeal Butterscotchies
1 1/4 c. flour
2 c. quick cooking oats
1/4 tsp. baking soda
5/8 tsp. salt
16 T. (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 c. butterscotch chips
1 c. + 2 T. dark brown sugar
2 tsp. vanilla paste or vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 T. water
aluminum foil

Preheat oven to 350 F

Line a 13 x 9 inch baking pan with aluminum foil and grease the foil.

In a large bowl combine the flour, oats, soda and 1/2 tsp. of salt.  On the stove heat the butter over medium heat, swirling it around to make sure it doesn't burn.  In a bowl mix together the butter and 3/4 c. of the butterscotch chips and whisk until smooth.  Whisk in 1 c. brown sugar until completely dissolved and then add in the vanilla and the egg.  Add to the flour mixture, stirring well until completely combined.

Spread the mixture into the grease baking pan and bake until the edges appear to be golden brown and they are toothpick clean (meaning you insert a toothpick and it comes out without anything sticking to it...), this will take about 18 minutes.  Take them out and set them on a cooling rack.

While they are cooling combine the remaining 2 T. of brown sugar, water, and remaining 1/8 tsp. of salt in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer.  Take off of the heat and add the remaining 1/4 c. of butterscotch chips and whisk quickly until smooth.  Drizzle over the cooled and cut bars, then serve. 

   
Soooo....as you can see, these are absolutely beautiful and the taste, I won't lie....it is amazing!  You heard it first here folks...if you know someone that doesn't like butterscotch, add copious amounts of dark brown sugar, oats, and butter to it and BAM!...they'll have a new found appreciation, yea...even LOVE....for butterscotch.

These turned out to have a perfect chew and the normally (to me...) overpowering flavor of butterscotch was tamed to the point of perfection.  I can totally see myself making these year 'round just for the heck of it.  The Mister ate four of these before he decided to actually tell me he liked them "a lot".  He was too busy chewing to talk I suppose.  Either way, even this cantankerous, old chocolate addict was able to find a place in her crowded heart to love these bars.  I bet you will as well.  These will be a favorite for a "grab and go" choice on any tray, but still appropriately dress up to the Christmas tone for the discerning guest.

No comments:

Post a Comment